The remarkable similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region can, in part, be explained as a very rapid movement of people from one end of North America to the other.
(This question is from Official Guide. Therefore, because of copyrights, the complete question cannot be copied here. The question can be accessed at GMAT Club)
The sentence lays out a possible explanation for the similarity of Thule artifacts throughout a vast region. The explanation is that people moved from one end of North America to the other end.
The sentence has one error: The use of “as” is incorrect. When we say abc is explained as xyz, we equate abc and xyz. Consider the following sentences, for instance:
- Our tendency to yawn when other people yawn has long been explained as an expression of a person’s empathy
- The sentence means: our tendency to yawn = expression of a person’s empathy
- Practically all the security events today can be explained as extreme reactions to acute public corruption
- The sentence means: security events = extreme reactions
Now, logically, we don’t want to say that the similarity of Thule artifacts was a very rapid movement of people!! Right?
(A) Incorrect. For the error described above.
(B) Incorrect. For the following reasons:
- It is not at all clear that for what is the explanation.
- “being” depicts a temporary state. The use of “being” is incorrect here since the sentence is not about the temporary similarity of Thule artifacts.
(C) Incorrect. This option has the same error as in the original sentence.
(D) Correct. Please note that this option completely changes the sentence structure of the original sentence. However, the meaning communicated here is logical, and the option is grammatical.
(E) Incorrect. For the following reasons:
- The prepositional phrase “with one explanation for this being” is an awkward and indirect way of communicating the same idea expressed directly in option D.
- Incorrect use of “this”: “this” is a demonstrative pronoun and must be followed by a noun to refer to something else.